Friday, April 25, 2008

What LDS teaches concernning the Son.

I recently posted a blog that cited from an article that pointed out some distinctive of Mormon belief. I was challenged about this and given a site to go to, www.fairlds.org, and I submitted a response to this man, because I believe that the Mormon religion is not Christian. I was able to cite some LDS sources that state plainly what they believe abou the Son, Jesus, and I thought I would repost the citations of this LDS literature.

-----, Thanks for the LDS link. Of course the LDS will try to cover themselves publicly. You and I both know they believe in progressive revelation through the "prophet" and the get the major source of their teaching not from the Bible. When interviewing with them, they will point out supposed "errors" in the Bible, and then they will show teachings later on from their other books, Doctrine & Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price. The Bible says not to add to God's word (Deu 4:2; Prov. 30:6; Rev 22:18)

The president quoted in the link you gave me quotes the Bible in saying the Holy Spirit would come upon Mary and create the child within her. But true Mormon teaching differs from this. Let me show you:

"Thus, God the Father became the literal father of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the only person on eath to be born of a mortal mother and an immortal father." [Gospel Principles; Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, 1992. 64]

"The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of his Father, as we were born of our fathers." [Brigham Young in Watt, ed. Journal of Discourses, 8:115]

"I will say that I was natually begotten; so was my father, and also my Saviour Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it." [Hebert C. Kimball in Watt, ed., Journal of Discourses, 8:211]

"Christ was Begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers... And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is bor to a mortal afther. There is nothing figurative and his paternity; he was begotten, conceived adn born in the normal and natural course f events, for he is the Son of God and that designation means what it says." [Bruce McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 547, 742]

"That Child to be born of Mary was begotten of Elohim, the Eteranl Father, not in violation of natural law but in accordance with a higher manifestation thereof; and the offspring from that association of supreme sanctity, celestial Sireship, and pure through mortal maternity, was of right to be called the "Son of the Highest." [James Talmage, Jesus the Christ (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co. 1981. 81]

"The official doctrine of the church is that Jesus is the liteal offspring of God. He's got 46 chromosomes; 23 came from Mary, 23 came from God the eternal Father." [BYU Proffesor Stephen E. Robinson in The Mormon Puzzle video produced in 1997 by the Southern Baptist Convention.]

I hope that's sufficient to see they believe something different from what you think (or were taught). By the way, I've never seen Godchasers, though I hear it is good. I actually just quoted my sources out of Mormonism 101: Examining the Religion of the Latter-day Saints; Bill McKeever & Eric Johnson. Baker Books. 2000.

No comments: